Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thank You, Chelsea!

Did you think I gave up on blogging? Trust me, I did give it some thought. I'm not a fan of sitting at the computer, and my patience with it is slim to none. Thank the good Lord for my super sweet friend, Chelsea, for sitting down with me this morning and showing me the ropes of Blogger world. I honestly think we all need a "Chelsea" in our life. Why you ask? Because she's a beautiful woman of God who makes you want to do everything in your life better. She's one of those people you hang around, and when you leave, you think to yourself, "I'm so blessed to have this person in my life!" She and her husband are expecting a baby boy, Chandler, in a few weeks. What a lucky little man. I bet he has no idea how blessed his life is going to be to have such wonderful parents. Chelsea, if your reading this, I love you sweet lady! Thank you a thousand time for helping me with this blog, teaching me to sew scrunchy scarves, giving me "teacher stuff" and the hundreds of other things I've come to your classroom for throughout the day! You're amazing! :)


Here's my newest recipe: Chicken with Fresh Cherry Salsa

Serves 4

Instead of chicken, you could spoon this family-friendly salsa over pork chops or baked tofu, or serve it with tortilla chips in place of standard tomato salsa. Stir in chopped jalapeƱos, if you like.

Ingredients

FYI: This recipe made WAY more salsa than was needed for 4 chicken breasts. If you want extra to have for the next day or  for another recipe then stick to the original amounts, if not, use my amounts is red.
1/2 pound (about 2 cups), 1/2 cup, pitted **I also suggest buying them already pitted, but I wanted to avoid the canned cherries. Kroger has them on sale this week for $1.99 lb. compared to $4.99lb.
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1 1/2 cup large ripe tomato, cored and roughly chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs You can not find these at Kroger, so I used plain breadcrumbs, or you could make your own.
4 (5-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Method
Put cherries, onion, tomato, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into a food processor and pulse to make a chunky salsa. (Or, finely chop all of the ingredients and toss together in a bowl.) Stir in cilantro and set aside.





Put breadcrumbs into a wide, shallow dish. Season chicken all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, dredge in breadcrumbs to coat, shake off and discard any excess crumbs and transfer coated cutlets to a large plate.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in two batches, if needed, arrange chicken in skillet in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until cooked through and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to plates and spoon salsa over the top. If you are rushing things because your STARVING, like me, and you crank the heat up in order heat the oil up faster, MAKE SURE you turn the heat back down or the chicken will burn! Luckily, mine only burned a little, although the pictures make it look worse than it really was.



Finished product: See below...





Nutrition

Per serving (about 8oz/240g-wt.): 320 calories (100 from fat), 11g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 80mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 24g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 32g protein

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2714

No comments:

Post a Comment