Friday, July 2, 2010

Mushroom and Swiss Patty Melt with Peas

Lunch was a success! So this recipe is good for days you need a light lunch or dinner. It fills you up, but it won't leave you wanting a nap. It was good!

Ingredients

The original recipe on the website was for 1 serving. I changed the amounts to make 4 servings.
1 pound ground turkey, formed into 4 patties
Salt and ground black pepper to taste or any other seasoning(s) of your choice
6 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup frozen green peas
2 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese


Method
Lightly season patty with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add patty and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip patty, move to one side of skillet. Add onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper to cleared side of skillet and cook until softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add peas and cook for 1 minute more, checking to ensure patty is cooked through. Sprinkle patty with cheese and transfer to a plate. Spoon hot mushroom mixture on top and serve.

This is where I had to take the meat out and continue to cook the veggies for another 3 minutes. I like my veggies to be really soft, almost mushy, so if you like a little crunch you may want to just take them off the heat after the extra minute.
FINISHED PRODUCT:


Jim was proud, and that makes me happy!
Things I will do differently next time:
1. add more seasoning to the meat
2. throw some fresh garlic in the mix
Last but not least: Thaw the ground turkey in the fridge the day before. I used the microwave this time ( I know mom, you told me NEVER to do this with turkey, but it was desperate times) and let it defrost for too long and cooked the edges of the meat. I threw that part of the meat away and just used the pink part. So I probably only ended up with 3/4lb. of turkey. Oh well, I told you people that I wasn't a pro, right? :)

Would I ever prepare this again? You bet!


Dessert: Sugar-Free Vanilla Pudding
The directions are on the box. I swear a newborn could make this. However, I did find out that you can NOT use Soy Milk; it must be milk from a cow. There may be other forms of milk that work, but those are the only two I have worked with.


Bad-Will turn out to be vanilla soup!




Good - Will turn out to be this...


By the way, this blogging is more complicated than it looks. It took me 45minutes to post this. Can anyone give me a lesson?
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment