Friday, July 2, 2010

It helps to read the ENTIRE recipe...

So I woke up this morning ready to set sail on this new adventure! I had the recipe picked out, Jim and I went to Kroger last night and bought all the ingredients and I even arranged those ingredients really nicely and took my "before" picture. So I'm up bright and early, grab the recipe, and discover that I failed to acknowledge some major details, and I quote “cover and chill overnight.” Really? I thought you only had to do things like that for JELL-O or sugar cookie dough. Not a breakfast casserole. It has eggs in it! Eggs can just “chill overnight” AFTER they’ve been beaten and mixed with other ingredients?! Well, come to find out they can. I’m feeling wiser by the second. This recipe seemed so simple. I thought finding the fancy cheese at Kroger was going to be the most difficult part. I was wrong. It was my lack of attention to detail that screwed this one up!

Here's proof that I had a plan...




So here’s the recipe that you will have to read about tomorrow, after I “cover and chill overnight.”



Serves 8This hearty breakfast meal, full of fresh tomatoes and mushrooms, gets much of its terrific flavor and texture from the English muffins that line the bottom of the dish.

Ingredients4 whole wheat English muffins, split
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 pound button or cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
8 eggs
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 cup grated Gruyère

Method
Arrange English muffin halves in the bottom of a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish, cutting them to fit, if necessary; set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid is thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Spoon tomato mixture over the top of the English muffins, distributing it evenly; set aside to let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over tomato mixture, then sprinkle with basil. Cover and chill overnight.

Set dish aside at room temperature for 1 hour and preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle casserole with cheese and bake, uncovered, until puffed, cooked through and cheese is golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately.

NutritionPer serving (about 7oz/200g-wt.): 240 calories (110 from fat), 12g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 225mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 19g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 15g protein

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2395



So remember, always READ, a glance is not sufficient, the entire recipe! I do have a lunch/dinner recipe in the works for later today. I am hopeful to have a success story up by this time tomorrow! :)

1 comment:

  1. My problem with following a recipe is when I don't have all the ingredients...I tend to think I can substitute for something that I do have in the house. It makes me feel like I made the recipe up all on my own just by changing one ingredient. I always think I can speed up the baking time by turning the oven up a FEW degrees...turns out not a good ideal! Cooking doesn't always turn out in my favor but atleast I have a husband that will eat anything and lie about it afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete